No Picture

General Preparedness Discussion • Re: Inside Cheyenne Mountain II

May 23, 2017 Gunns 0
Permafrost wrote:
Gunns,
How much is something like that, all in with the extra stuff needed to hook it up? I have been worried about my solar panel attracting lightning because it is on big metal post sitting in a open area. Right now all I have in line is a 12 volt fuse that was actually intended for a cars audio system for those big amps that the kids love to ruin their hearing with. I’ve been meaning to get something else in there.

$250. Sounds like a lot but it will save all your electronics in a lightening strike. Plus like I mentioned, it may save you from an EMP or CME if it isn’t directly over your head.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 23, 2017 1:12 pm


No Picture

General Preparedness Discussion • Re: Inside Cheyenne Mountain II

May 23, 2017 Gunns 0

Electrical power grids can be protected against both EMP and CME.

I have a whole house Surge protector which does work for lightening, power line surges and such. Will it protect against EMP or CME. Depends on a lot of factors. I got it because the amount of lightening storms we have here.

I have a Dytek DTK-120/240HD2 whole house surge protector at the main panel before distribution to my generator bypass or house.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 23, 2017 10:53 am


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: EMP and CEMP

May 23, 2017 Gunns 0

I am on NASA’s app on my iPad and it alerts me to all CME events. I got nothing. You need to stop watching Alex Jones LOL

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 am


:tank:

Financial Issues • Re: Big day today…MY 300th POST!!!…lol.(J/K)

May 19, 2017 Gunns 0

Well if its something you want to do then do it.

All the rest of what you said is vague. I don’t know what you do for a living or what you would be advertising so my opinion on the rest wouldn’t matter.

Now if you are making a commercial about prepping and you are unsure about exposure, then I would reconsider. Do you want people to know your name or even where you live and prep?

Ask Southernprepper1. Are you self confident as he is? Then not a problem.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am


:tank:

Financial Issues • Re: Big day today…MY 300th POST!!!…lol.(J/K)

May 19, 2017 Gunns 0

Well if its something you want to do then do it.

All the rest of what you said is vague. I don’t know what you do for a living or what you would be advertising so my opinion on the rest wouldn’t matter.

Now if you are making a commercial about prepping and you are unsure about exposure, then I would reconsider. Do you want people to know your name or even where you live and prep?

Ask Southernprepper1. Are you self confident as he is? Then not a problem.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 am


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: Power outage

May 18, 2017 Gunns 0
Cadit wrote:
Just heard that the power outages were the result of a CEMP. NASA and other organizations confirmed that it was a large CEMP that hit across the USA. They think that the areas that went down were due to poor grid conditions and grid load. A friend of mine who works in upper management and a fellow prepper, informed me that if not for the quick actions of personnel, it may have been even larger power outages. The opening of lesser switches that prevented the continual load demand were opened to keep a cascade effect from taking place. At the time we spoke there were six locations that was effected.

Also; the power companies and the government believe that a much larger CEMP is thought to hit the earth sometime this year, where it may hit has not been disclosed as yet. But the thing about it is: they know this stuff and keep it from us. :caution:

I cannot find anything on this. And no they couldn’t possibly keep it quiet completely, too darn many are watching for this.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: Power outage

May 18, 2017 Gunns 0
Cadit wrote:
Just heard that the power outages were the result of a CEMP. NASA and other organizations confirmed that it was a large CEMP that hit across the USA. They think that the areas that went down were due to poor grid conditions and grid load. A friend of mine who works in upper management and a fellow prepper, informed me that if not for the quick actions of personnel, it may have been even larger power outages. The opening of lesser switches that prevented the continual load demand were opened to keep a cascade effect from taking place. At the time we spoke there were six locations that was effected.

Also; the power companies and the government believe that a much larger CEMP is thought to hit the earth sometime this year, where it may hit has not been disclosed as yet. But the thing about it is: they know this stuff and keep it from us. :caution:

I cannot find anything on this. And no they couldn’t possibly keep it quiet completely, too darn many are watching for this.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu May 18, 2017 12:40 pm


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: They know Who You Are

May 16, 2017 Gunns 0

No one watches me. They know nothing about me. I am nobody. I do nothing wrong. I own no weapons, no food, no water and I don’t know how to garden. I even pay more taxes then I have to.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 16, 2017 10:40 am


No Picture

Water • Re: Lifesaver Cube Water Filtration Review and Thoughts

May 15, 2017 Gunns 0
maxwonderdog wrote:

Gunns wrote:http://www.shtfandgo.com/store/emergency-water/14-ceramic-replacement-filter-with-pre-filter-sock.html

Isn’t this the same filter technology the ProPur Big uses, except their filter is 7″ instead of 4″? Has anyone here used the ProPur Big?

I believe Propur’s is 7 inches high and 2.75 inches diameter.

The other is 4 inches by 4 inches.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Mon May 15, 2017 10:16 am


No Picture

Construction Cornerstone • Re: Phillips screws vs regular screws

May 11, 2017 Gunns 0
Everyman wrote:
When wood was extensively used in yacht and ship building slotted wood screws were an absolute requirement. Boat hulls were typically built from clear cabinet grade mahogany screwed to oak frames. All the care in the construction was identical to fine cabinet making. The wood was treated as a precision material. When a hull was planked the planks were fastened to the frames with bronze screws that were counter bored into the planks. The counter bore was then filled with a plug that was glued in place. Often, after years of use the screws had to be replaced. The planks were fine but the screws would become wasted. So shipwrights would pull the plugs and replace the screws. One problem they always had was that the glue used to hold the plug filled the slot of the screw. It was a simple matter to take a straight bladed screwdriver and ‘chisel’ out the glue from the slot so a larger bit (turned by a brace) could be used to remove the screw. If you use a phillips head screw in this application it would be a nightmare to remove the screws because it is tedious to remove glue from a phillips head screw. The same thing is true of screws that are countersunk, puttied over and painted.

And there ladies and gentlemen is a very good history lesson. Thanks Everyman I had no idea and this kind of stuff is cool to hear or read.

On another note, welcome back.

I use almost exclusively Serrated Head Star Drive screws.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu May 11, 2017 9:30 am


No Picture

Water • Re: Lifesaver Cube Water Filtration Review and Thoughts

May 11, 2017 Gunns 0
daaswampman wrote:

Gunns wrote:I bought Berkey with the black filters. He failed miserably out of the box. The filter seal was leaking and I did a red dye test and it did zero filtering. If I had relied on that filter to save my life I would have been dead.

So I put together my own with buckets and “Ceramic Dome Water Filter Element with Silver for Anti-Bacterial Purification”. I did the red dye test on this and it worked flawlessly. Though I am the paranoid kind so I also have many Sawyer water filters.

Do you have a link to the filters you are using? I have also had issues with the Berkey filters not being properly seated and sealed. During an emergency, is not the time to be testing your toys. Swamp

http://www.shtfandgo.com/store/emergenc … -sock.html

This is what I got. I got two of them. I tested them to make sure that the red dye did not get through to the filtered water.

What really makes me angry about Berkey is they have Zero Honor or Integrity. I called them about the red dye test failure and talked to several people and they said I was nuts that no filter could pass that test. I even took some pictures of the test.

Now, Berkey says they invented the red dye test. Liars liars pants on fire. I will never buy their products.

Not sure where it was invented or who came up with it but I saw a video by another prepper doing it years ago.

I keep a bottle of red dye with each of my filtration systems just so after I put it together, I can test it. If anyone is using a filtration system I recommend testing it with red dye at least after you change the filters. If it isn’t removing the dye, you could die or come seriously sick in SHTF.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu May 11, 2017 9:25 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: FARADAY CAGES

May 10, 2017 Gunns 0

Seems to be a lot of experts on here. Do some searches here and find the links to the official reports. I can never find them when I look.

One of the findings in the reports was that EMP and CME can be significantly reduced if even one side of the container is metal. The scientist, yes it was a scientist that did some testing found that up to a 10,000 time reduction in any radiation be it from EMP or CME could be seen if your car or truck was under a metal car port.

Not sure if that is true since we haven’t been hit by an EMP or significant CME. So I triple protect. Device wrapped into plastic, into mylar, into plastic, into mylar and then into the metal trash can. Wish I could do that with my truck, but its not practical lol.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Wed May 10, 2017 10:26 am


No Picture

Water • Re: Lifesaver Cube Water Filtration Review and Thoughts

May 9, 2017 Gunns 0

I bought Berkey with the black filters. He failed miserably out of the box. The filter seal was leaking and I did a red dye test and it did zero filtering. If I had relied on that filter to save my life I would have been dead.

So I put together my own with buckets and “Ceramic Dome Water Filter Element with Silver for Anti-Bacterial Purification”. I did the red dye test on this and it worked flawlessly. Though I am the paranoid kind so I also have many Sawyer water filters.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 09, 2017 11:41 am


No Picture

Water • Re: Lifesaver Cube Water Filtration Review and Thoughts

May 9, 2017 Gunns 0

I bought Berkey with the black filters. He failed miserably out of the box. The filter seal was leaking and I did a red dye test and it did zero filtering. If I had relied on that filter to save my life I would have been dead.

So I put together my own with buckets and “Ceramic Dome Water Filter Element with Silver for Anti-Bacterial Purification”. I did the red dye test on this and it worked flawlessly. Though I am the paranoid kind so I also have many Sawyer water filters.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 09, 2017 11:41 am


No Picture

General Family Preparedness • Re: Prepper Spending Challenge! How would you do it?

May 3, 2017 Gunns 0
oldasrocks wrote:
I’d spend it all on beef and cheese sandwiches and stick them in the freezer. Or maybe frozen pizzas.

I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t be able to expel that, cork comes to mind.

1 years worth ha?

Well I would buy my normal stuff. Veggies in cans, cheeases, meat in cans, fruit in cans or can it myself. Stock up on vitamins. Anything left over I would buy the comfort foods like cake!

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Wed May 03, 2017 9:11 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: Is this the end?

May 2, 2017 Gunns 0
rebnavy1862 wrote:

rickdun wrote:

rebnavy1862 wrote:Reb
Never cuddled up in a fox hole with other men like some marines I know

I assume that is directed at me Reb, I love the Navy, BUT you know there was always differences between the two branches. I spent time on an LST going from Okinawa to VietNam and all the squids did was wonder around like they were lost, at least we had guard duty so nobody would steal our amtracs.

All kidding aside, if it weren’t for a wonderful Navy Corpsman ( I still keep in touch with him), I may have lost at least one leg, thanks to him I have both legs.

Sempri Fi Reb.

Rick, I used the word “marines”, plural. The comment was directed at Gunns also. He was a jarhead too.

I was navy medical. At sea, we worked long hours trying to cure the god-awful veneral diseases that the marines pick up at port calls.
I had orders in 1970 to go FMF with the marines as a corpsman** headed to Nam. Thank God, my orders were changed before I deployed.
Reb

** Obama’s pronounciation: Instead of the correct “kore-man”, the Kenyan idiot called us “corpse-men”. :shakeno:

Ya I got that. Just for your information during the Axe murder incident I did not share my foxhole. I was all by myself.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue May 02, 2017 11:13 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: Is this the end?

May 1, 2017 Gunns 0
rebnavy1862 wrote:
Oh…………………nevermind.
Reb

Actually, they’d be mighty good company if they were the Olde Virginians like Washington, Jefferson, Monroe, Madison, Tyler, Henry, Lee, Jackson, and one of my favorites, Billy Mahone. Got a lot of questions for them.
The Virginians we have now are all from Joisey and NYC. Ain’t the same anymore.

Mmmm. Reb never pictured you spending eternity with other men.

:whistling:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP and Stored Data

April 28, 2017 Gunns 0

So buy a couple cheap laptops and a half dozen USB drives. Stick the laptop in EMP protection and rotate the USB drives in and out with your data backed up on it.

As I sit here I look down at my stage 2 EMP drive protector. Its an Altoid metal box. Inside is a small mylar bag with the USB drive in it. I also keep others in the big box.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:00 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions

April 27, 2017 Gunns 0
Illini Warrior wrote:

Mollypup wrote:

rebnavy1862 wrote:For a moment there, when you said: “mentally unstable psycopathic narcissist with zero diplomatic and military experience” I thought you were talking about Obama.
Reb

It’s not my fault the voters voted in two of them in a row. While I greatly dislike Obama, I have to say he was more mentally stable than the current occupant in the white house. I can’t say at this point either of them are much different in decision making. Trump hasn’t been in office long enough to give him a fair shake down.

As for the drills………I know they take planning & budgets & lots of coordination. I’ve taken part in them. That there are disaster drills doesn’t heighten my alertness, they happen all the time. That it is for something rather specific, nuclear attack, is what got my attention. They’re usually just generic disaster type themes. This country has not worried about a nuclear threat in many decades. Now suddenly we’re having nuclear disaster drills. Yup. That’s going to cause me to stop & consider why. And the theme could’ve have been made more specific within a short time frame as it still would involve the same people & much of the same equipment just some detail alterations & a more specific focus.

Obammy more mentally stable than Prez Trump? … where exactly have you been the last 8 years? …. he has more mental & emotional issues than any modern president – including Nixon and Johnson – and that taking Kennedy’s drug issue into account …

there’s all kinds of “tell all” books coming out – I’d be reserving anything positive about Obammy until you see behind the Wizard’s curtain …

:thumbup:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions

April 27, 2017 Gunns 0
Illini Warrior wrote:

Mollypup wrote:

rebnavy1862 wrote:For a moment there, when you said: “mentally unstable psycopathic narcissist with zero diplomatic and military experience” I thought you were talking about Obama.
Reb

It’s not my fault the voters voted in two of them in a row. While I greatly dislike Obama, I have to say he was more mentally stable than the current occupant in the white house. I can’t say at this point either of them are much different in decision making. Trump hasn’t been in office long enough to give him a fair shake down.

As for the drills………I know they take planning & budgets & lots of coordination. I’ve taken part in them. That there are disaster drills doesn’t heighten my alertness, they happen all the time. That it is for something rather specific, nuclear attack, is what got my attention. They’re usually just generic disaster type themes. This country has not worried about a nuclear threat in many decades. Now suddenly we’re having nuclear disaster drills. Yup. That’s going to cause me to stop & consider why. And the theme could’ve have been made more specific within a short time frame as it still would involve the same people & much of the same equipment just some detail alterations & a more specific focus.

Obammy more mentally stable than Prez Trump? … where exactly have you been the last 8 years? …. he has more mental & emotional issues than any modern president – including Nixon and Johnson – and that taking Kennedy’s drug issue into account …

there’s all kinds of “tell all” books coming out – I’d be reserving anything positive about Obammy until you see behind the Wizard’s curtain …

:thumbup:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: Power outage

April 25, 2017 Gunns 0
rebnavy1862 wrote:
North Korea caused it.

Kalifornia had an earthquake registering 10 on the Richter Scale. Broke all the wires.

All the snowflakes ran to the shore causing Kalifornia to tip over into the sea.

Reb, telling it like it is.
Oars, did I forget anything?

:thumbup:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 am


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: Power outage

April 25, 2017 Gunns 0
rebnavy1862 wrote:
North Korea caused it.

Kalifornia had an earthquake registering 10 on the Richter Scale. Broke all the wires.

All the snowflakes ran to the shore causing Kalifornia to tip over into the sea.

Reb, telling it like it is.
Oars, did I forget anything?

:thumbup:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 am


No Picture

A.N.T.S. • Re: Power outage

April 25, 2017 Gunns 0
rebnavy1862 wrote:
North Korea caused it.

Kalifornia had an earthquake registering 10 on the Richter Scale. Broke all the wires.

All the snowflakes ran to the shore causing Kalifornia to tip over into the sea.

Reb, telling it like it is.
Oars, did I forget anything?

:thumbup:

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:11 am


:offtopic:

For Sale & Trade • Re: Emergency Essentials 160-gal. water tanks more than 50%

April 25, 2017 Gunns 0

I looked at IBC totes and the EE160 gallon tank. I think I would still spring for totes for water catchment for the garden and such. But for potable water I may still spring for a manufactured tank designed specifically for that reason.

Totes around here are hard to find, especially those that did not have harmful chemicals in them.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am


:offtopic:

For Sale & Trade • Re: Emergency Essentials 160-gal. water tanks more than 50%

April 25, 2017 Gunns 0

I looked at IBC totes and the EE160 gallon tank. I think I would still spring for totes for water catchment for the garden and such. But for potable water I may still spring for a manufactured tank designed specifically for that reason.

Totes around here are hard to find, especially those that did not have harmful chemicals in them.

Statistics: Posted by Gunns — Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:04 am