No Picture

Pandemic Preparedness • Re: Pneumonic Plague

November 8, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

While everyone jokes about how bad medicine is in 3rd world countries, for these local diseases you’re often better off being treated where doctors have a clue about what’s wrong. All too often you hear about stories where an emergency room here or in…

No Picture

General Family Preparedness • Re: Soap

October 30, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

oldasrocks wrote:NEVER NEVER NEVER try using pool shock to sterilize drinking water unless you want to wake up dead.Never try it unless you’re sure what you’re doing. Make sure it’s Calcium Hypochlorite with nothing else other than inert ingredient…

No Picture

General Family Preparedness • Re: Soap

October 29, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

Instead of bleach, consider stocking pool shock, but only after you read up on safety measures. Then make sure you print directions for safely turning the powder into bleach. And read up again regularly since it’s obviously highly concentrated and dan…

No Picture

Pandemic Preparedness • Re: Pneumonic Plague

October 27, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

casualprepper wrote:I feel like with all the possibilities of disasters or SHTF/WROL situations a massive disease outbreak will be the hardest to survive as it is the least predictable. Any tips?Social distancing is an easy way to increase your chance…

No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #6 (Sept 2017)

September 28, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

While the big worry is EMP taking down not just the grid, but all electrical devices that aren’t shielded properly, there was a report earlier this month that hackers were already inside the grid control computers. North Korea has proven pretty good at hacking (the Sony hack was the most memorable in recent times), so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are actively trying to get into the grid control machines or are already there and waiting for orders from above.

References:
https://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/ … tack-group
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat … /20601645/
http://www.newsweek.com/north-korea-cyb … ack-612997

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:03 pm


No Picture

Water • Re: Distilled Water Disadvantages

September 22, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Photon Guy wrote:

dmwalsh568 wrote:I guess I watch too much sci-fi since I immediately thought you’re a hologram trolling us biological entities. I mean someone who calls himself photon guy should know that other than a few bioluminescent creatures nothing living generates light. If someone said that to me IRL I’d nod politely and slowly back away trying to not spook them since they are bat guano crazy. :floppytongue:

Oh but we do emit light. We don’t see it as its outside our visible spectrum but look at somebody and use an infrared viewer and you will see what I mean. Photon was a big laser tag game, the first of its kind, and was really popular during the 80s. That is how I came up with my user name.

Ok, I had forgotten electromagnetism 101, that all electromagnetic waves are both waves and photons, and instead was focusing on visible light. So I admit you’re right, but I’d still disengage from someone claiming that our cells need light. :smartass:

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 am


No Picture

Water • Re: Distilled Water Disadvantages

September 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Photon Guy wrote:
I was recently at a prepper event and the event of course included water purification and there were booths where people were selling various devices for purifying water. I did not see any water distillers like what I’ve got but I did talk to this fellow who was selling some kind of filtering device. We talked about distilled water and he mentioned that somebody else had said to him that distilled water loses its ability to transfer light into our cells. Supposedly our cells all contain light and water helps with that. With distilled water it loses that ability so it might not be a good idea to drink distilled water all the time. It has to do with the boiling, when you boil water that’s what causes it to lose that ability. Anybody know anything about this?

I guess I watch too much sci-fi since I immediately thought you’re a hologram trolling us biological entities. I mean someone who calls himself photon guy should know that other than a few bioluminescent creatures nothing living generates light. If someone said that to me IRL I’d nod politely and slowly back away trying to not spook them since they are bat guano crazy. :floppytongue:

Now if he was talking about electrolytes then yes that’s an issue but you’d have to drink a lot of water without eating salt, potassium, etc. – search on water intoxication for more info. Some runners can have issues if they drink just water during a race and no rehydration solutions. I suppose distilled could be worse than tap but not drastically.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm


No Picture

Water • Re: Distilled Water Disadvantages

September 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Photon Guy wrote:
I was recently at a prepper event and the event of course included water purification and there were booths where people were selling various devices for purifying water. I did not see any water distillers like what I’ve got but I did talk to this fellow who was selling some kind of filtering device. We talked about distilled water and he mentioned that somebody else had said to him that distilled water loses its ability to transfer light into our cells. Supposedly our cells all contain light and water helps with that. With distilled water it loses that ability so it might not be a good idea to drink distilled water all the time. It has to do with the boiling, when you boil water that’s what causes it to lose that ability. Anybody know anything about this?

I guess I watch too much sci-fi since I immediately thought you’re a hologram trolling us biological entities. I mean someone who calls himself photon guy should know that other than a few bioluminescent creatures nothing living generates light. If someone said that to me IRL I’d nod politely and slowly back away trying to not spook them since they are bat guano crazy. :floppytongue:

Now if he was talking about electrolytes then yes that’s an issue but you’d have to drink a lot of water without eating salt, potassium, etc. – search on water intoxication for more info. Some runners can have issues if they drink just water during a race and no rehydration solutions. I suppose distilled could be worse than tap but not drastically.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm


No Picture

Water • Re: Distilled Water Disadvantages

September 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Photon Guy wrote:
I was recently at a prepper event and the event of course included water purification and there were booths where people were selling various devices for purifying water. I did not see any water distillers like what I’ve got but I did talk to this fellow who was selling some kind of filtering device. We talked about distilled water and he mentioned that somebody else had said to him that distilled water loses its ability to transfer light into our cells. Supposedly our cells all contain light and water helps with that. With distilled water it loses that ability so it might not be a good idea to drink distilled water all the time. It has to do with the boiling, when you boil water that’s what causes it to lose that ability. Anybody know anything about this?

I guess I watch too much sci-fi since I immediately thought you’re a hologram trolling us biological entities. I mean someone who calls himself photon guy should know that other than a few bioluminescent creatures nothing living generates light. If someone said that to me IRL I’d nod politely and slowly back away trying to not spook them since they are bat guano crazy. :floppytongue:

Now if he was talking about electrolytes then yes that’s an issue but you’d have to drink a lot of water without eating salt, potassium, etc. – search on water intoxication for more info. Some runners can have issues if they drink just water during a race and no rehydration solutions. I suppose distilled could be worse than tap but not drastically.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm


No Picture

Water • Re: Distilled Water Disadvantages

September 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Photon Guy wrote:
I was recently at a prepper event and the event of course included water purification and there were booths where people were selling various devices for purifying water. I did not see any water distillers like what I’ve got but I did talk to this fellow who was selling some kind of filtering device. We talked about distilled water and he mentioned that somebody else had said to him that distilled water loses its ability to transfer light into our cells. Supposedly our cells all contain light and water helps with that. With distilled water it loses that ability so it might not be a good idea to drink distilled water all the time. It has to do with the boiling, when you boil water that’s what causes it to lose that ability. Anybody know anything about this?

I guess I watch too much sci-fi since I immediately thought you’re a hologram trolling us biological entities. I mean someone who calls himself photon guy should know that other than a few bioluminescent creatures nothing living generates light. If someone said that to me IRL I’d nod politely and slowly back away trying to not spook them since they are bat guano crazy. :floppytongue:

Now if he was talking about electrolytes then yes that’s an issue but you’d have to drink a lot of water without eating salt, potassium, etc. – search on water intoxication for more info. Some runners can have issues if they drink just water during a race and no rehydration solutions. I suppose distilled could be worse than tap but not drastically.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:27 pm


No Picture

Water • Re: Spill Containment Trays – help!

September 15, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

When I searched for spill on a site I’ve used in the past for shelving units and organization systems I came up with a bunch of hits. one of which is close:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater … t-platform

It’s yellow and doesn’t have a plug. but it’s got a grating meant to hold drums full of liquid.

They also have a small tray containment system:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/mater … n-capacity

Not quite the size you’re looking for, but the price isn’t as crazy as some of their more industrial products.

But, if you’re just looking to keep individual bottles of stuff from spilling over the place and you have a bit of spare room…have you considered disposable aluminum chafing dishes? Like you’d used on a food buffet line or salad at a church gathering? I’ve bought a bunch of the insert chafing dishes that you fit two in a warming system, and they might do the trick at a fraction of the cost…. Or for really small bottles, disposable aluminum pie plates or 9×9 brownie pans…

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:51 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #6 (Sept 2017)

September 15, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Gunns wrote:
Boo

Nothing will happen. Fat boy knows he will be killed if he does anything. This is about negotiation and control.

If we were to leave him alone and let him save face with his elite, sure. But I can easily see him doing something stupid if he thinks it’s the only way to hold onto power in NK. And if he thinks he’s going down then I’m willing to bet he’ll do his best to take as many of us with him as he can.

And swinging back to the OP: At this point I’m very glad the USAF secret shuttle is in orbit…hopefully it’s capable of dealing with any new NK satellites. A bucketful of BBs in a crossing trajectory would do wonders to make sure no EMP threat from that…

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #6 (Sept 2017)

September 15, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
Gunns wrote:
Boo

Nothing will happen. Fat boy knows he will be killed if he does anything. This is about negotiation and control.

If we were to leave him alone and let him save face with his elite, sure. But I can easily see him doing something stupid if he thinks it’s the only way to hold onto power in NK. And if he thinks he’s going down then I’m willing to bet he’ll do his best to take as many of us with him as he can.

And swinging back to the OP: At this point I’m very glad the USAF secret shuttle is in orbit…hopefully it’s capable of dealing with any new NK satellites. A bucketful of BBs in a crossing trajectory would do wonders to make sure no EMP threat from that…

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:28 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Hackers inside the electrical grid

September 6, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

Found an article on how hackers have already penetrated both US power grids and European power grids. Basically, they could shut the grids down anytime they feel like it….basic research from Symantec. Article over on ArsTechnica:

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec … -networks/

Hackers lie in wait after penetrating US and Europe power grid networks
Intrusion into power companies’ operational networks is a dramatic escalation.

Nation-sponsored hackers have penetrated the operational networks multiple US and European energy companies use to control key parts of the power grid that supplies electricity to hundreds of millions of people, researchers warned Wednesday.

The incursions detected by security firm Symantec represent a dramatic escalation by a hacking group dubbed Dragonfly, which has been waging attacks against US and European energy companies since at least 2011. In 2014, Symantec reported that Dragonfly was aggressively establishing beachheads in a limited number of target networks, mainly by stealing the user names and passwords used to restrict access to legitimate personnel. Over the past year, the hacking group has managed to compromise dozens of energy firms and in a handful of cases, install backdoors in the highly sensitive networks the firms use to supply power to the grid.
<snip>

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 am


No Picture

General Family Preparedness • Re: Prep Concerns for Korean ‘Conflict’

September 5, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

I’ve already buttoned up my faraday cages, but I’ve put my prep Kindle in multiple layers of foil and paper just in case.

At the start of this I pulled the trigger on more FD #10 cans of meats and some of veggies too.

I’ve also got a SHTF shopping list if ANY military action starts going across the NK/SK border, assuming I have any time at all. But I’m guessing it won’t go nuclear at once unless the little fat boy decides he’s going down so he might as well take anyone he can with him. If nothing happens to the continental US, then I end up with more shelf stable items to figure out where to stuff them in the house….but if the ballon goes up, then having a bit more cooking oil, flour, etc will make things last longer.

And if we get EMP’d then when I get home I fill the water bobs and cover them with towels to block the sunlight. Next I start blocking up the basement windows and preparing for nuclear fallout – either in case of nuclear bombs going off at a distance (I have no illusions about surviving a close hit…no blast shelter here) or the eventual fires at nuclear plant cooling ponds upwind of my location. Beyond that, depends on what’s happening. I have a radio and flashlight in each faraday cage, so I can take one of each out in case of secondary (or more!) EMP blasts a few days to weeks later. Hopefully some radio station would be online. I’m not that far from a FEMA bunker and the MEMA bunker, so chances are someone would be broadcasting after an event…but if not I have other preps.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:03 am


No Picture

Natural Disasters • Re: Atlantic (Hurricane Irma)

September 5, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/ne … -islands-0

Irma has reached Cat 5 status with 175MPH winds

Hurricane Irma is nearing the northern Leeward Islands and is now a Category 5.

Hurricane warnings have been issued for portions of the Leeward Islands, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.

Irma will target the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico Wednesday into early Thursday.

Parts of Hispañola, the Bahamas, and Cuba are also in the path of Irma late this week.

Irma is increasingly likely to target parts of the Florida peninsula as a dangerous hurricane this weekend.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 am


No Picture

Natural Disasters • Re: Sun update…CME incoming…Very active sunspot.

September 5, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
PatrioticStabilist wrote:
Not much we can do about something like that. Damn scarey.

While we can’t protect the grid ourselves, we CAN take measures to prevent damage from geomagnetic storm induced currents in our personal electronics. Unplug everything you can, and retract or remove any antennas that you can. It’s long cables that gather the energy from a geomagnetic storm and if you disconnect the cables you should be fine.

And anything stored in a faraday cage against nuclear EMP will also be fine from a geomagnetic event, but it’s overkill – just removing cables should be enough.

Of course you still need to be prepared for a multi-year grid down event, since the transformers and any unprotected electronics connected to the grid will be damaged…but your electronics would be ok when the grid starts coming back….

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:07 am


No Picture

Natural Disasters • Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

August 29, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
PatrioticStabilist wrote:
I thought the governor of Texas told them not to evacuate? Am I wrong?

The governor said folks should evacuate. The Mayor of Houston said no mandatory evacuation. The mayor was worried about injuries and deaths on the highway as everyone tried to get out of town all at once. It had happened before and lots of folks died even before the storm hit – Rita in 2005:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/27 … -stay-put/

It’s a classic no-win situation, ask folks to evacuate knowing that there will probably be deaths that wouldn’t have happened if everyone stayed put. But if you don’t evacuate and get a disaster like Harvey then you get blamed for a massive humanitarian disaster.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm


No Picture

Natural Disasters • Re: Gulf Coast Hurricane

August 29, 2017 dmwalsh568 0
PatrioticStabilist wrote:
I thought the governor of Texas told them not to evacuate? Am I wrong?

The governor said folks should evacuate. The Mayor of Houston said no mandatory evacuation. The mayor was worried about injuries and deaths on the highway as everyone tried to get out of town all at once. It had happened before and lots of folks died even before the storm hit – Rita in 2005:

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/27 … -stay-put/

It’s a classic no-win situation, ask folks to evacuate knowing that there will probably be deaths that wouldn’t have happened if everyone stayed put. But if you don’t evacuate and get a disaster like Harvey then you get blamed for a massive humanitarian disaster.

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:21 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #5 (Aug 2017)

August 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

To add to the uncertainty, our Aegis missile defense destroyers seem to be dropping like flies in the Pacific. One yesterday, another back on June 17th, and a third in late January. At least the January one just ran aground rather than running into tanker ships. :whistling:

The McCain is missing sailors after this latest crash and I fear those missing won’t be found alive. And with the repairs that will be needed, this is the third Aegis destroyer in the Pacific to be out of commission for a while. I have to wonder how many can be in repair dock and we still have an effective ABM defense. :nervous:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/us-n … index.html

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMP-Korea Concerns & Discussions #5 (Aug 2017)

August 21, 2017 dmwalsh568 0

To add to the uncertainty, our Aegis missile defense destroyers seem to be dropping like flies in the Pacific. One yesterday, another back on June 17th, and a third in late January. At least the January one just ran aground rather than running into tanker ships. :whistling:

The McCain is missing sailors after this latest crash and I fear those missing won’t be found alive. And with the repairs that will be needed, this is the third Aegis destroyer in the Pacific to be out of commission for a while. I have to wonder how many can be in repair dock and we still have an effective ABM defense. :nervous:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/20/asia/us-n … index.html

Statistics: Posted by dmwalsh568 — Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:44 am