No Picture

Other weapons • Re: How do you kill a spider when you have 12ft ceilings?

September 22, 2017 Cast Iron 0
Photon Guy wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:With one of these: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_ … _Pistol/78

I did the same with a cockroach when I was living in the Deep South.

I know. Spiders are our friends, they eat bugs, etc.
But just not in the house.

And they give me the wee-bee-gee-bees.
That is a technical term.

Now, how do I clean that up . . .

That would work.

Now, I wish I had 12 ft ceilings. It would give me enough space to do my martial arts drills with some of the longer weapons.

Ah. I get that. From all the times I lived in a urban environment, there is a dearth of 12 ft ceilings.

Yet another advantage of living in a rural environment.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 pm


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: How do you kill a spider when you have 12ft ceilings?

September 22, 2017 Cast Iron 0
Photon Guy wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:With one of these: https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/IZH_46M_ … _Pistol/78

I did the same with a cockroach when I was living in the Deep South.

I know. Spiders are our friends, they eat bugs, etc.
But just not in the house.

And they give me the wee-bee-gee-bees.
That is a technical term.

Now, how do I clean that up . . .

That would work.

Now, I wish I had 12 ft ceilings. It would give me enough space to do my martial arts drills with some of the longer weapons.

Ah. I get that. From all the times I lived in a urban environment, there is a dearth of 12 ft ceilings.

Yet another advantage of living in a rural environment.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 pm


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

September 21, 2017 Cast Iron 0
JoyDog wrote:

Photon Guy wrote:

JoyDog wrote:I have not ever shot at anyone, but I use guns daily. I have to protect my farm and animals. I dont think martial arts would help me at all. We have bear, coyotes, bobcat, rabbits, lion, and other small animals that threaten our life.

Well for that, particularly the lions and bears, I would go with something along the lines of a .30 06

A couple years ago I killed a bear on our front step with a .223. He was looking through the sliding glass door at our granddaughters.

May we assume shot placement is what took the bear down?

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

September 21, 2017 Cast Iron 0
JoyDog wrote:

Photon Guy wrote:

JoyDog wrote:I have not ever shot at anyone, but I use guns daily. I have to protect my farm and animals. I dont think martial arts would help me at all. We have bear, coyotes, bobcat, rabbits, lion, and other small animals that threaten our life.

Well for that, particularly the lions and bears, I would go with something along the lines of a .30 06

A couple years ago I killed a bear on our front step with a .223. He was looking through the sliding glass door at our granddaughters.

May we assume shot placement is what took the bear down?

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:47 am


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

September 21, 2017 Cast Iron 0
Photon Guy wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:Honestly I felt sub-urban areas to be the most hostile. No one waved, or said hello. Very stand off-ish. And I walked my dog around the neighborhood on a daily basis.

They’re not necessarily hostile they might just be grouchy.

Oh, no.
I was taking my dog for a walk as I did everyday. His bladder is only so big. He was on empty, straining to get even a few drops out.
Some woman gives me a dirty look and yells at me about how my dogs urine is going to kill her shrubs.
Hostile she was.

Another issue seemed to be parking your car. Better not park in front of someone else’s home, they own that part of the street. A lot of hostile, dirty looks there.

Complaints about cook outs, and the smoke it generated.

A family down the street was having a kids birthday party in their back yard. The police showed up on a noise complaint.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 am


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

September 21, 2017 Cast Iron 0
daaswampman wrote:

Photon Guy wrote:Alright I can see how handguns would be useful weapons in the country and I never said country people don’t or shouldn’t use them. Out in the country where there aren’t that many people you are much less likely to run into a perpetrator so carrying a handgun for self defense might not be necessary at least when it comes to dangerous people but I didn’t consider other dangers such as rattlesnakes and wild animals. And a handgun is much easier to carry than a long gun when you’re doing all the work you would do out in the country. Its just that when I think of the country I often think about farmers with shotguns and rifles so that is why I associate long guns with the country.

Really – there is no 911 or friendly neighbors in hollering distance! You are on your own! Being obviously armed makes a difference! While at home I ALWAYS open carry, as a notice of my intent! I know how to use my weapons and if given cause , will use then without hesitation. Swamp

Swamp,
I am inclined to disagree.
Per my observations, living in urban, sub-urban and rural areas, the people I have found most friendly are, by far, those in the rural areas.
People out here wave or honk as they go by.
My wife had a front wheel drive car, got stuck in the snow. Here I am pushing and not having luck. Some guy, driving by, saw our predicment, stopped, turned around, came back, and helped me push my wifes car out.
I never met him before.
I help my neighbors on a regular basis. I have tea or coffee with them on a regular basis.
They give me scraps to feed my hogs.

Honestly I felt sub-urban areas to be the most hostile. No one waved, or said hello. Very stand off-ish. And I walked my dog around the neighborhood on a daily basis.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 pm


No Picture

Other weapons • Re: Country Weapons vs City Weapons

September 20, 2017 Cast Iron 0
Illini Warrior wrote:
opinion – stupid premise ….

I do not think I would call it stupid.

As others have posted, the original post is more obviously one sided, and myopic.

Yeti 2015 states quite well, the right tool for the right job. One would never use a short barreled AR15 for grouse hunting, no more so than one would use a twenty eight inch, over and under to clear houses in urban Kabul.
However I would not rule out the use of a long gun in a urban area where mastery of a firearm is more important be it a handgun or a long gun. But we should all strive to be a Rifleman, as defined by the late, great COL Jeff Cooper.
While I am generally not endeared of technological solutions, there have been advances in metallurgy and frangible ammunition.

During my deployment to Afghanistan, I have no recollection of anyone having to engage in hand to hand combat.
Nor do I recall any Marines or Army soldiers forgoing their M16/M4 in favor of their M9 in urban combat.
I do not recall the insurgents preferring handguns to long guns in urban combat.
If there is any one place in the world that would look like the USA in a SHTF situation, it is Afghanistan.

We use pepper spray out here in the country. It is called Bear Spray.

I was in wrestling in Jr. High, and High school.
Formal hand to hand combat training in the USMC.
Judo.
Krav Maga.
With exception of wrestling, the other three, prior to the start of training, stated first to only engage in physical force when is the last resort. Do anything and everything to get the advantage by using anything and everything around you before resorting to use of your own body. Make contact, then break contact and get out of there. It is not some hollywood movie. You are not Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, or Jackie Chan where you take on forty-six guys single handedly and come out on the other side sweaty and slightly winded without a scratch. There is always someone out there, bigger, faster, stronger or who by plain dumb blind luck, gets the upper hand and you lose.

Another disadvantage with any kind of martial arts, injuries.
I had a roommate in Taekwondo, zigged when he should of zagged: broken jaw.
One of my Judo instructors, third degree black belt, dislocated knee in formal competition. He had the video. It was cringe worthy to watch.
Head injuries. As we have seen from football, and boxing, head injuries can lead to serious medical issues and it can be so much as one bad hit from even sparing in practice. Memory loss, difficulty concentration, tremors in the hands, vision issues, speech issues and more.

I would argue having good situational awareness would serve you better than years and years of martial arts training. Lot cheaper too. I have lived in a number of hostile urban areas and have never had to draw my weapon, or get into a confrontation all due to my knowledge of Go/No-Go areas, and awareness of my surroundings.

Knife fights. Just do not do it.

As it was noted in the original post, living in a urban environment has the greater possibility of putting one in closer contact with hostile types. And, as we have noted in many a sudden SHTF situation threads, those hostile types could go from a small percentage of the population, to the majority of the population in short order. I do not believe any of us are going to receive a personal text message from Kim Jong-un, saying he is launching a EMP/nuclear attack in ninety minutes and to get to your BOL.

Perhaps this thread should have been a comparison/contrast to urban to rural, the pros and cons of each.
I think it would have been a much better discussion.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 pm


No Picture

General Arkansas Discussion, News, and Weather • Re: Dangerous times

September 3, 2017 Cast Iron 0
TRex2 wrote:
As I pointed out before: they won’t burn books because no one reads books. They will cut off Internet access to viewpoints they don’t like. And that is happening, right now. Today.

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/20/g … -websites/

For decades, it’s been no secret that liberal bias controls many American institutions. In 2016, the left-leaning bias of the mainstream media was on full display, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

For now, the internet gives conservatives a chance to even the playing field.
Predictably, liberals are not happy about this threat to their monopoly on information. In response to Trump’s victory, they started a campaign to label online conservative news sources as “fake news.”

In the fight to censor conservatives online, they unfortunately have a massive ally. Like Hollywood, the media, and college campuses, major American tech companies are also bastions of left-wing thought. Now, companies like Google are finding ways to shut down the debate online.

From PJ Media:

Google revealed in a blog post that it is now using machine learning to document “hate crimes and events” in America. They’ve partnered with liberal groups like ProPublica, BuzzFeed News, and the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) to make information about “hate events” easily accessible to journalists. And now, there are troubling signs that this tool could be used to ferret out writers and websites that run afoul of the progressive orthodoxy.

It’s easy enough to figure out the direction of this project by taking it for a test drive. A search for “Scalise” returned four results, one of which didn’t even mention Steve Scalise, the congressman who was shot by a crazed leftist in June.

In short, this unholy alliance plans to shut down conservative media by cutting off the platforms that support them. Of course, they cover this up by claiming they’re simply targeting “hate speech”. However, conservatives have been around long enough to know that what the left defines as hate speech tends to cover any speech that doesn’t align with liberal orthodoxy.

For a few years, conservatives have been able to use the internet as a platform for political thought. Sadly, those days could now be numbered.

[Note: This post was authored by Michael Lee.

The move is afoot to insure that everything the majority of people read is from a liberal viewpoint.

A frighting thought in both senses.

I find the majority of MSM to be biased-left leaning.
Hence the popularity of the so called alt-media, which the MSM hates as it is stealing from not only their propaganda, but revenue.
Fear sells.

Regardless, any and all news, forums, pundits, should always be taken with a given degree of skepticism. Do not just drink the kool-aid because you agree with it. Maintain your objectivity. Question authority always.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 pm


No Picture

General Arkansas Discussion, News, and Weather • Re: Dangerous times

September 3, 2017 Cast Iron 0
TRex2 wrote:
As I pointed out before: they won’t burn books because no one reads books. They will cut off Internet access to viewpoints they don’t like. And that is happening, right now. Today.

https://www.allenbwest.com/2017/08/20/g … -websites/

For decades, it’s been no secret that liberal bias controls many American institutions. In 2016, the left-leaning bias of the mainstream media was on full display, but that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

For now, the internet gives conservatives a chance to even the playing field.
Predictably, liberals are not happy about this threat to their monopoly on information. In response to Trump’s victory, they started a campaign to label online conservative news sources as “fake news.”

In the fight to censor conservatives online, they unfortunately have a massive ally. Like Hollywood, the media, and college campuses, major American tech companies are also bastions of left-wing thought. Now, companies like Google are finding ways to shut down the debate online.

From PJ Media:

Google revealed in a blog post that it is now using machine learning to document “hate crimes and events” in America. They’ve partnered with liberal groups like ProPublica, BuzzFeed News, and the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) to make information about “hate events” easily accessible to journalists. And now, there are troubling signs that this tool could be used to ferret out writers and websites that run afoul of the progressive orthodoxy.

It’s easy enough to figure out the direction of this project by taking it for a test drive. A search for “Scalise” returned four results, one of which didn’t even mention Steve Scalise, the congressman who was shot by a crazed leftist in June.

In short, this unholy alliance plans to shut down conservative media by cutting off the platforms that support them. Of course, they cover this up by claiming they’re simply targeting “hate speech”. However, conservatives have been around long enough to know that what the left defines as hate speech tends to cover any speech that doesn’t align with liberal orthodoxy.

For a few years, conservatives have been able to use the internet as a platform for political thought. Sadly, those days could now be numbered.

[Note: This post was authored by Michael Lee.

The move is afoot to insure that everything the majority of people read is from a liberal viewpoint.

A frighting thought in both senses.

I find the majority of MSM to be biased-left leaning.
Hence the popularity of the so called alt-media, which the MSM hates as it is stealing from not only their propaganda, but revenue.
Fear sells.

Regardless, any and all news, forums, pundits, should always be taken with a given degree of skepticism. Do not just drink the kool-aid because you agree with it. Maintain your objectivity. Question authority always.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:23 pm


No Picture

General California Discussion, News and Weather • Re: Water and Southern California

September 3, 2017 Cast Iron 0
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
CI!!! good to see ya man! where ya been?

Driven, greetings and salutations.

Once the weather changed, the farm spun up, work, family . . . life (!), I have not been on line much.

The recent events of Charlottesville, protests, counter-protests, etc. made me realize I need to pay more attention to things going on in the world aside what the goats, pigs, cows, rabbits, chickens, ducks and gardens are doing.

My apologies for the thread jack.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 pm


No Picture

General Arkansas Discussion, News, and Weather • Re: Dangerous times

September 3, 2017 Cast Iron 0
ajax727 wrote:
The destruction of history has started next will be books and last the people who don’t fit there needs .
My little words on the death of free speech is underway . If you dare to speak against there point of view your life is in danger of ending violently .

Someone made the observation at work that we, as a nation, are not re-writing history, but sandblasting history.
I am waiting to see when the book burning starts.

It seems a mob like mentality is taking over the country.

As I have stated before, I consider myself moderate and or centrist. But in this politically charged climate, that just might get me grievously wounded.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:15 pm


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: EMPs (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

September 3, 2017 Cast Iron 0
straightshooter wrote:
It gets much worse folks.
One thing I have rarely seen addressed is the effect of an EMP on our nuclear powered electrical power systems. As I understand their redundancies the reactors have diesel generators to power the pumps for the coolant of the reactors and the spent fuel rods. At the rate large diesel engines burn fuel I would be surprised if they could store more than a couple months worth of fuel on-site, at which point the pumps stop, the coolant boils off, and we have a much bigger problem than lack of electricity in our homes. We would essentially have dozens of nuclear reactors melting down simultaneously, resulting in worldwide contamination many orders of magnitude greater than Fukushima or Chernobyl. Does anyone have real intel on this? I’m seeing EMP as a bad event that will devolve into a global killer after a few months.

I have a good friend who lives close to a nuclear power plant.
We can see the cooling tower from her backyard.

Many of her neighbors work at the plant.
As she understands it, something happens at the plant, they scramble to put the plant into maintenance mode and let it cool down to prevent a total melt down.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:55 am


No Picture

Guns • Re: Accuracy challenge

September 2, 2017 Cast Iron 0
Dirk Williams wrote:
Good on you for practice clutch shooting. Best to punch paper, at those close distances. Many years ago, I was shooting a sniper comp. on the third day, we had the option of shooting a tennis ball hung on a string, at 100y, 17% downhill grade. With minor wind.

Everybody was given the option, I was in 4th, and didn’t hesitate, the points offered if I hit was substantial. If I missed, o well. Carpa Diem. I was the only one to shoot.

I hit, and carried 2nd.overall.

The shots in your head. Know your kit, call your shot, put it where you called it. Your pellet gun is the perfect way to become very proficient.

EasyPesy.

Dirk, most excellent advice.
Thank you for your input and expertise.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:54 am


No Picture

Prepper Fiction • Re: The Fall

September 2, 2017 Cast Iron 0
IceFire wrote:
Farm life DEFINITELY gets busy from Spring through Fall, and slows down during winter, which leaves more writing time. We can be patient. Thanks for the update.

Thank you Ice Fire.

One new addition to the herd. Four more to go.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:39 am


No Picture

Guns • Re: Accuracy challenge

September 1, 2017 Cast Iron 0
straightshooter wrote:
One issue with shooting steel targets at pistol or rimfire rifle distances is bullet fragmentation. There is no safe place to avoid fragments. And, trust me, catching a 9mm bullet’s copper jacket in the belly ain’t no picnic. It makes for interesting looks from the TSA thugs.

I can relate.
Took one to the cheek at a indoor pistol range.

Even at short ranges, lead air pellets deform into little squished mushroom looking things that drop right there. Makes easy clean up.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:47 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: Antifa Protest Movement Danger To Preppers

September 1, 2017 Cast Iron 0
TRex2 wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:A history lesson, and interesting idea as to who might be manipulating the far-left.

How to Avoid America’s Coming Years of Lead
http://observer.com/2017/08/russia-amer … -far-left/

Continuing my analysis of the article, let me first say that none of this commentary is related to the two posts made last night by rickdun and the daaswampman, I am simply continuing my own line of analysis.

This article is by John Schindler, a former intel analyst with impressive credentials, and he has done a good job, overall. No two analysts see things the same way, however, so my view will be at variance with his, and ultimately (might take three postings to get all of my thoughts across) I will expose that he is actually contributing to the problem.

I don’t know much about the “Observer,” since it is kinda hard core on the profiteering (runs enough adds to overheat my computer), so I was disappointed that the article doesn’t discuss how “we” (preppers) could avoid America’s coming “years of lead,” but rather, it was trying to spell out how America could avoid the coming “years of lead.”

I appreciate his take on the history of the Red Army, and I learned a few things, some of which I had already suspected, like the connections from the Red Army to organizations behind the Iron Curtain.

I have already seen evidence that traces connections from them to George Soros and some implications that he may be getting at least some part of his financial muscle from Eastern Block powers.

It surprised me that he didn’t already know about those connections, but instead chose to focus on the connections between the “Far Right” (and I still think that is a misnomer). I have read his article on that subject, and it held more surprises, for me, than this one. More, on that, later.

His statements that the “far-left has faced less public scrutiny” and “habitual double standard about genocidal totalitarianisms” and that “those who brandish the flags of genocidal totalitarian regimes have no place in a law-based democracy and ought to be treated as the pariahs they are” are right on the money, but he doesn’t elaborate on how we need to do that, or who is failing to call them out.

What is more, after mentioning that “we must be aware of what’s really going on, and who’s trying to harm our country” he calls the deliberate standing down of law enforcement “underperformance” rather than calling it out as and intentional directive from those who are trying to harm our country.

Ultimately, my analysis of this article is that it outlines part of the problem, but soft peddles both the nature of the threat and fails to call out the channel by which that threat is being delivered.

________________
I plan to do an analysis of his article on “Richard Spencer and His Kook-Right” next.
.

Thank you for your assessment.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 am


No Picture

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: Antifa Protest Movement Danger To Preppers

August 31, 2017 Cast Iron 0
TRex2 wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:A history lesson, and interesting idea as to who might be manipulating the far-left.

How to Avoid America’s Coming Years of Lead
http://observer.com/2017/08/russia-amer … -far-left/

I have not analysed the article in its entirety, but the first half looks like he is exactly on target.

I have been warning, for some time, that the current PC movement to denounce and demonize “extremism” is a trojan horse idea, meant, ultimately, to destroy Conservative and Christian American organziations.

I always did wonder, though, how Neo-Nazi and Nazi groups came to be viewed as “far right” since the definitions of the names is far left. I am looking forward to reading and analyzing the remainder of the article, soon.

The Definition of Fascism on Wikipedia is:
Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and control of industry and commerce.

The de-facto definition of Communism (from Conservapedia):
Communism is a left-wing materialistic and often violently atheistic ideology created to justify the overthrow of Capitalism, replacing free market economics and democracy with a “dictatorship of the proletariat”. Under Communism, the political system replaces the private ownership of the means of production with “collective ownership” of the economy,

Both are forcible and oppressive government control of peoples and economies.

I would be very interested in your thoughts and analysis on the article.

I would also be interested in others thoughts and analysis as well.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:17 pm


:wave:

Terrorism & other Man made disasters • Re: Antifa Protest Movement Danger To Preppers

August 31, 2017 Cast Iron 0
TRex2 wrote:

Cast Iron wrote:A history lesson, and interesting idea as to who might be manipulating the far-left.

How to Avoid America’s Coming Years of Lead
http://observer.com/2017/08/russia-amer … -far-left/

I have not analysed the article in its entirety, but the first half looks like he is exactly on target.

I have been warning, for some time, that the current PC movement to denounce and demonize “extremism” is a trojan horse idea, meant, ultimately, to destroy Conservative and Christian American organziations.

I always did wonder, though, how Neo-Nazi and Nazi groups came to be viewed as “far right” since the definitions of the names is far left. I am looking forward to reading and analyzing the remainder of the article, soon.

The Definition of Fascism on Wikipedia is:
Fascism /ˈfæʃɪzəm/ is a form of radical authoritarian nationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and control of industry and commerce.

The de-facto definition of Communism (from Conservapedia):
Communism is a left-wing materialistic and often violently atheistic ideology created to justify the overthrow of Capitalism, replacing free market economics and democracy with a “dictatorship of the proletariat”. Under Communism, the political system replaces the private ownership of the means of production with “collective ownership” of the economy,

Both are forcible and oppressive government control of peoples and economies.

I would be very interested in your thoughts and analysis on the article.

I would also be interested in others thoughts and analysis as well.

Statistics: Posted by Cast Iron — Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:17 pm